Thursday, June 12, 2008

Things get confusing sometimes

For instance, this morning I thought we were going to start the next round of chemo. I misunderstood. It will be sometime tomorrow. I apologize for relaying that confusion. I'll know more from George after he visits tonight and talks with the doctors.

In the meantime, today was a day that was more of the same as this morning. Gene's respiration gets so aggitated that she has to be given a muscle relaxant so the involuntary breathing can do the job it was designed to do. We can tell when she is getting to that stage with higher blood pressure, higher pulse, and bouts of respiration where she doesn't take a breath for longer than normal only to hit a bout of rapid breathing trying to catch her breath. The blood/oxygen is still very good though. Even after the muscle relaxant is given her vitals still vary from moment to moment. She does not eat anymore and has been put on a "nutrient fluid". She continues to be in a prone sitting position and does the "moan" breathing. Some have told me that's the resting sound a cancer victim makes at this stage.

Most of the time Gene is right on the verge of unconsciousness. If you call to her she'll briefly emerge from the haze to recognize you, say hi or that she feels fine or whatever and then she's right back into the murky waters that define someone who exists between dreams and reality. When asked she repeatedly tells us she's not in pain. Thank God.

Also tomorrow more family comes to town: her mother, twin sister, brother, the other sister and a neice. I think that will lift her spirits to see loved family.

I love hearing all the prayers that are coming in from all over. One little girl even made up a song for Gene. Her parents are going to record it for me. Keep the prayers coming. We need them every moment of every day.

In His Love,

Dane

1 comment:

Stacy Himes Schochler said...

Dane,
Dad just sent me the link to your blog. I'm so sorry about your mom. I love her very much. I wish I could come see her, but I can't. Please give her and your dad my love. My mom is in Australia right now, but next time I talk to her, I'll let her know. Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Love, Stacy (David Himes daughter)